The reasons I know that spring is here have nothing to do with the fragrant jasmine in bloom, the sun staying out a bit longer in the evenings, the fact that I have a sudden craving for crunchy salads or the realisation that I no longer need a hot water bottle to survive in my office. These are the REAL reasons I know spring has arrived:
- TSC killed the first mosquito last night. The war has resumed.
- My cats are shedding more prolifically than usual. Everything black in our house is covered in white cat hair and everything white is covered in black cat hair. Sneaky buggers.
- Magazines are all running their annual "get bikini-ready in 5 easy steps" type of nonsense articles.
- You can smell meat on the braai (BBQ) on weekends again.
- My Northern Hemisphere blog friends are moaning about the onset of winter.
- People are showing their Lily-white legs (mine are unfortunately always that pale, even in mid-summer).
- People are phoning me earlier in the morning.
- My colleagues are wearing brighter colours.
- My heart is pining for Cape Town more than usual.
- The cats have stopped sleeping on the bed with us.
The shedding culprits, in all their cuteness...