Tuesday 3 February 2009

More sunburn and some yummy Mythos

If my sunburn on Saturday wasn't bad enough, I decided to work in the garden in my bikini on Sunday morning. Seeing it was quite early and it looked like it was going to rain, I reckoned I wouldn't need sunblock. See, I figured I'd only be busy for about half an hour before rain set in.

Instead, the sun came up, I got so involved in planting a new bed that I forgot the time and I ended up with a luminous pink back and my usual pale white front. I actually took a picture, but decided for your sake not to post it here.

It didn't hurt until Sunday evening, when it started to be all hot and prickly. But now it hurts like hell on my one shoulder (the other one mysteriously remains pristine white) and I struggled to sleep last night, especially seeing TSC kept creeping onto my side of the bed and (unintentionally) elbowing me in my sunburn.

If that wasn't bad enough, my cats decided that they'd investigate my bathroom cupboard and ended up knocking my make-up foundation off the counter so that it shattered on the floor, waking us up with a huge fright.

Cleaning up base is no fun. Especially early in the morning when you should be asleep.

Needless to say, I'm a bit bleary-eyed this morning. And I'm running out of clothes that don't chafe my sunburn.

Sunday afternoon I ended up wearing a sleeveless poloneck shirt so that my mother wouldn't yell at me for getting burnt. Normally I practically bath in sunblock before I go out thanks to her training.

It was her birthday and we went to a restaurant called Mythos in Bedfordview. There's actually one in Design Quarter in Fourways, which is much closer, but my mom had been to the Bedfordview one and loved it, so she booked there for her birthday lunch.

As the name suggests, it's a Greek restaurant. The decor is gorgeous - walls lined with stacked white pebbles and tables with holes in the centre that had (very pretty) fake olive trees "growing" out of them. It looks much better than I'm making it sound, I promise.

My mom's best friend Anne shared a meze platter for two with me. Kleftethes (Greek meatballs), lamb and chicken souvlaki (kebabs), prawns, grilled calamari, yiro (thin-sliced beef strips), tzatziki (cucumber and yoghurt dip), taramosalata (fish roe dip) and pita bread. Yum! So good.

For dessert I had the grilled halva topped with peach, which was sublime. When our budget is less stretched, TSC and I will have to try the one that's nearer to us and see if it's as good. That's something to look forward to ;-)

The lunch went well and my mom liked her prezzies. Now... to figure out the next gift for the anniversary...

15 comments:

po said...

Your mom sounds like my dad. He was paranoid about the sun and I used to hide my sunburn too. But two of my aunts have had skin cancer now so I am kind of greatful for his paranoia.

Anonymous said...

Ouch! You should put some Freeze on your sunburn! It'll help. :)

Janine / Being Brazen said...

yummy - I soooo feel like greek food now....

boldly benny said...

Aloe Vera gel always helps for burn - sorry to hear you are in pain.

The food at Mythos is deeeelish!

Sorry I can't be more help on the gift front, you seem to have done everything I thought of suggesting!

Unknown said...

OUCH! I hate being stupid and frying my skin.. it's the worst. I am glad you had a great weekend aside from the skin-fry. That restaurant sounds amazing... now my mouth is watering

Mama Feline said...

Ouch! i have a ridiculously fair skin and often suffer sunburn. I have found that "prep shaving cream" is the best remedy thus far!

Shania said...

I awoke to six inches of snow. Shall I send you some to rub on your sunburn?

Anonymous said...

Sunburn is eina and often catches you when you least expect it!!

Lunch sounds nice :)

Slyde said...

didnt i JUST say in the last post that i cant relate to sunburn stories right now?

stop it!

Anonymous said...

Ouch! Sounds sore!

Anonymous said...

Strange co incidence is that I shall be going to Mythos this saturday for dinner.

Having never heard of it before my invite I was weary. Now after reading your summary of it. I'm looking forward to my evening of Greek dining.

Hayley said...

And I was at Mythos (Bedfordview) just a few weeks ago....great restuarant!

Tamara said...

Po: My mom's trained me well and I'm scared of skin cancer, but I'm only human and do stupid things once in awhile.

Sleepyjane: I've got an arsenal of aftersun products ;-)

Brazen: I always feel like Greek food!

Benny: Yep - I've got a bunch of aftersun products with aloe vera in them. I'm coating myseklf about three times a day to soothe my skin.

dizzblnd: Yep. If I could reach, I'd kick myself.

Feline: Thanks for the tip. I wondre if I could get past the smell?

Shania: By all means... if you think it'll make it here still cold ;-)

Laura: it was. How did you enjoy your first Bloggirls?

Slyde: Oh, I'm SO sorry, sir. I humble beg your forgiveness.

Jeannette: Like hundreds of small bites all stinging at once.

Stevin: Let me know what you think, will you?

Hayley: I agree.

Wenchy said...

That sounds fab.

AngelConradie said...

that restaurant sounds divine!