Monday 11 October 2010

Many, many movies

For those of you who've been reading this blog for any length of time, you'll know that I am a bit of a cinephile. But, because I am VERY opinionated on the subject of movies, I try not to blog about films too often and bore you all to tears. So here are some very short (one-sentence) totally subjective reviews on movies I've seen recently. Feel free to argue or agree in the comments section ;-)

Despicable Me I thoroughly enjoyed this simple feel-good movie because it kept me laughing most of the way through (especially the fabulous minions).

Outrageous Despite the fact that I find John Vlismas distinctly unfunny, this raucous stand-up comedy film features the hilarious Loyiso Gola, Riaad Moosa and Barry Hilton, among others, and had a couple of jokes that I'm STILL laughing about, about a month after watching it. Note: This is a South African movie, so you probably won't be able to find it if you're not from here. Also... It's not for sensitive viewers.

Ghostwriter
Although the movie is extremely well made and well acted, it didn't save it from being fairly boring.

The Karate Kid
Aside from the fact that Will Smith's kid is freakily like a little mini version of his dad, I really liked this movie - it will introduce a whole new generation to the awesomeness of The Karate Kid, this time without the bad 80s fashion ;-)

The A-Team
If you're looking for a plausible storyline, don't watch this movie - it's all about big guns, big personalities and big laughs... Fabulous.

The Ugly Truth
The movie that justifies every nasty thing ever said about chick flicks - what a crock!

Old Dogs
Possibly the worst movie I have watched all year, there is nothing charming or funny about this lame rubbish.

The Accidental Husband
It's nothing original or clever, but this fluffy, silly chick flick is great veg-out-on-the-couch-and-drool-in-front-of-your-tv brain candyfloss (sweet but not substantial) - ideal for a Sunday evening or when you're at home with the flu.

SALT
Yet another America vs Russia action spy thriller, this one requires you to leave your logic at the door and just try to pretend to believe the possibility of the slick, attractive nonsense unfolding onscreen.

Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps
One of those movies that looks far more interesting in the previews than it actually is, despite its stars' best efforts to inject some life into the film.

Step Up 3D
If you can get past the total lack of plausible storyline and the pathetic acting, this is actually worth seeing in 3D for the dance sequences, which are pretty awesome.

Robin Hood
It had its moments and had me interested for parts of the movie, but overall Robin Hood took itself waaaay too seriously.

Kickass
I cannot believe that people found this crass, over the top, revolting movie funny - there were bits where I actually left the room to escape it.

Silk
I'm not a Keira Knightley fan, although in this long, long pointless movie that revolves around silkworm eggs, she is actually less dull than co-star Michael Pitt.

7 comments:

BioniKat said...

Thanks Tamara. You actually put me off watching movies altogether now. Just kidding! Seriously though, thanks for doing the dirty work for us. I usually only watch whatever comes on tv or what the boys borrow from their friends. The true test of whether the movie is worth it or not is whether or not I fall asleep while watching!

boldly benny said...

Dying to see Dispicable Me. LOVED the A-Team. Not so keen on The Ugly Truth and Step Up 3D was SO bad but I loved the dancing!

Hayley said...

OMW ...havent seen any of these..shows you how long ago i was at the movies!

Dbawiw said...

I would suggest 'Inception' if you haven't seen it. Barring a few problems, I thought it was wonderful.

Also, the documentary 'Oceans' was just magnificent. As a friend of mine said, it was visual poetry.

po said...

I haven't seen a single one, I am too obsessed with reading right now to watch anything.

Unknown said...

On account of having a nearly-two-year-old in the house, I have only seen one of these - SALT.

Tamara - one does not watch a movie starring Angelina Jolie movie for it's plausible story line! It is Angelina, Angelina, Angelina! Ditto Milla Jovovich. It is all about a sexy chick kicking the es-aitch-one-tee out of everyone/everything...

T said...

Ummmm...lemme see...yeah, Kickass was funny because it was over the top and crass for those inclined toward that kind of thing.

Over the top is always fun you see, life is too serious to have too serious moofies ;)