Monday 19 July 2010

Realisation and a recipe

You know what I realised last night?

I don't get that heavy Sunday afternoon depression anymore because I don't have to face the PR job on the Monday morning. That's a very cool little piece of enlightenment for me.

It helps especially on weekends that have been really hectic and that just fly by, like this one. We had friends over for supper on Friday night, then another load of people to watch the (so-called) rugby on Saturday morning with a braai afterwards (which meant two sets of catering within the space of 24 hours). On Sunday we saw my folks for breakfast and then had a church meeting at lunch and then we were on duty at church from 5pm and did coffee with friends after that.

So much for a chilled first weekend without hosting World Cup guests!

When things are busy, it's funny how there are always precious little "ordinary" moments that stand out as highlights... sharing jokes with my parents, seeing everyone enjoying both puddings I made for Fri and Sat (chilled lemon cheesecake and chocolate marshmallow tart), watching a brilliant episode of Hustle with TSC and even realising that the lettuce from my garden tastes infinitely better than the lettuce from the supermarket (especially seeing all my lettuce-growing attempts before this have been dismal failures). I love little things like that.

Here's the recipe for the chocolate marshmallow tart. I think it originally came off the back of a Romany Creams box, but I lost the actual recipe years ago and now make up my version from memory...



Chocolate marshmallow goodness:
  • 1 packet Romany Creams or similar biscuits
  • 250 ml cream
  • 1 packet marshmallows
  • 75g melted butter
  • 200g milk chocolate
Crush Romany Creams (I use a stick blender). Mix with melted butter and press into a tart tin to make crust. Melt the chocolate with the cream on medium heat. Stir until smooth. Add marshmallows and stir until they melt into the chocolate mixture. Remove from heat and cool for a few minutes. Pour chocolate mixture over crust. Refrigerate for a few hours until set. Decorate with grated chocolate or a light dusting of icing sugar with a sliced strawberry in the middle.

Yum!

9 comments:

Cam said...

Ah geez, wish I had that realisation :(

Romany Creams rock, just saying.

BioniKat said...

That dessert is so simple but fantastically decadent! Is the chocolate easy to melt in the cream? I always thought chocolate was a mission to melt. Obviously the cream mustn't boil?

Anonymous said...

Oh wow that dessert sounds gooooood!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow - my mouth is watering! I'm definitely going to have to try that. :)

Damaria Senne said...

Glad you ennjoyed the weekend, even though it was busy. And I agree, it's nice not to have that ball of depression on Sunday afternoon.

Anonymous said...

OOOOH that cake sounds so so yum. Definitely going to try that

Ruby said...

yay for awesome realisations:) I'm so happy for you my friend:)

oh, and that recipe sounds absolutely divine!

po said...

Definitely have to try that dessert.

Shayne said...

Oh this is one of my fav no fuss recipes. love it. make it often.

love weekends like the one you just mentioned, they'e the best.