- Two HIV positive people in a sexual relationship should still use condoms as re-infection is a possibility.
- It can take years for people with HIV to develop AIDS. "In some people, the T-cell decline and opportunistic infections that signal AIDS develop soon after initial infection with HIV. Most people remain asymptomatic for 10 to 12 years, and a few for much longer. As with most diseases, early medical care can help prolong a person's life." Quote from here.
- According to this site, studies indicate that condoms slip off the penis in about 1 to 5 percent of acts of vaginal intercourse and slip down (but not off) about 3 to 13 percent of the time. So using condoms means safer sex, but not 100% safe sex.
- Use only water-based lubricants with latex condoms as oil- or petroleum-based lubricants (like Vaseline) will cause the latex to break. (People with latex allergies can use polyethylene condoms with oil-based lubricants.)
- There can be a link between HIV and other STDs. According to these folks, having a sexually transmitted disease can increase your risk of acquiring and transmitting HIV. "This is true whether you have open sores or breaks in the skin (as with syphilis, herpes, chancroid) or not (as with chlamydia and gonorrhea). Where there are breaks in the skin, HIV can enter and exit the body more easily. Even when there are no breaks in the skin, STDs can cause biological changes that may make HIV transmission more likely. Studies show that HIV-infected individuals who are infected with another STD are three to five times more likely to contract or transmit the virus through sexual contact."
- It is possible to get HIV through unprotected oral sex. See here and here for info.
I hope you learnt something.
Now, the second topic. Well, it's not really actually a different topic. See that award from Momcat needs to be passed on to six Gorgeous Bloggers. But I don't want them to feel like that has anything to do with my HIV/AIDS post. So, ladies, feel free to stick to the original meme and post six random things about yourselves before you pass this on. Or feel free to ignore if you're not the blog awards type. K? Right, the list...
- Kimmi. Coz she's awesome both IRL and on her newly founded blog.
- Paula. Coz she's back in blogland!
- Helen. Coz she makes me laugh and then she makes me think.
- Meriel. Coz she is sweet, thoughtful and funny and let me see her wedding invitation copy before posting it. LOL.
- Shayne. Because I love her posts and she understands my garden-watching habits.
- Po. Because I have never met a more entertaining or incredible seamonkey. Or someone who will debate books with me for days in a comments section.
So, you lot, this is for you: